--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Special Fast for Jayson

Anticipation...

Oh. My. Gosh.  Jayson's surgery is five days away.  I'm already losing my mind.  I can't focus on anything.  In short, I'm a complete mess!!!  Today I am trying to get some details worked out in preparation for the surgery.  The doctor warned us that with opening up the dura of the brain, there are little pockets of blood he may hit and Jayson may need a blood transfusion.  In allllll of Jayson's medical paperwork (I have kept it all in a thick binder) not one page states his blood type.  A couple of his pages of medical paperwork state my blood type, but not his.  So I'm making calls, trying to find his blood type, and investigating the idea of donating blood to help with a potential transfusion.  Mike doesn't even know his blood type because he has never seen a doctor.  Shocking, I know.  And if my blood type ends up being compatible with Jayson, it will honestly be the biggest sacrifice in the world to donate my blood.  I pass out, every time, and I'm sick for hours afterwards.  But I would do it for my boy.
(for more details about Jayson's condition and surgery, read the blog post 'Bad News')

A Special Fast for Jayson...

My anxiety is through the roof right now, and my meds aren't even helping.  The only thing bringing me peace right now is my faith that God is watching over my son, and He has a plan for him.  I am not in control, and that's hard for me.  Another piece of comfort is knowing we have a fast coming up for my special little boy.  In my faith (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), we fast once a month to show our dedication to our Heavenly Father, and to prepare ourselves for our fast and testimony meeting.  We also fast in very special situations when additional faith might bring more blessings.  I have seen fasting bring miracles in my own life.  And I fully believe there is great power in numbers, when many people fast and pray with the same purpose.  This brings me comfort knowing that this Sunday, January 6th, many people all over the world will be fasting, praying, and sending positive thoughts for baby Jayson.  All are invited to participate in this fast.

How does a fast work?  In my faith, we say a special prayer before a fast.  In this case, we would ask for Jayson's surgery and recovery to go well.  We then skip two meals as part of our fast, to show dedication, commitment and sacrifice.  After our fast, we say another prayer asking for the same blessing.  (more information can be found at: http://www.lds.org/topics/fasting-and-fast-offerings?lang=eng).

One does not have to be a member of our faith to fast.  Nor does one need to be considered "religious".  This is a practice that shows faith, hope and sacrifice for a particular purpose.  I know Jayson will be blessed by the fasting and prayers of many family, friends, acquaintances and friends we have yet to meet. 

Additionally, I have joined many Chiari support groups and websites.  The color PURPLE is used to show support to those who suffer from Chiari.  If possible, wear purple on Monday, January 7th to show your support to Jayson during his decompression surgery.  You can send me your pics on Facebook:  Tristin Taylor West.


 Thank you all for your support, thoughts and prayers on our behalf.

Please leave a comment with any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment